Wesley School was founded in the year 1818 by Rev. James Lynch, an enthusiastic follower of John Wesley, the Founder of Methodist Mission. Rev. James Lynch came to India from Britain under the leadership of Dr. Thomas Coke and became the founder of Methodist Mission in India by establishing a small school and a chapel at Royapettah, Madras (called now as Chennai) in the year 1818.
The School gradually grew and reached the status of High School in 1851 due to the tremendous efforts of the Rev. Dr. Ebenezer Jenkins. He even managed to establish Wesley Arts College in those days. When the Arts College was closed in 1935, Meston College of Education emerged in 1937 and it was headed by Rev. T.R. Foulger. The Wesley High School in addition to its regular academic activities served as a practicing school for this professional college.
At the advent of Independence of our Country, the School incorporated Basic Education in its curriculum in line with the vision of Mahatma Gandhi and was involved in Craft programmes until a change was introduced in the scheme of education.
In conformity with the new structural change in the School Education introduced by the Government of Tamil Nadu, the Government Aided institution was upgraded as Higher Secondary School for boys in the year 1978, with academic courses at +2 level.
Moving along with modern educational trend, we have introduced computer subjects in 1990. The School is also involved in welfare education by arranging integrated programmes for handicapped children.